Thursday, October 30, 2014

Language Minority

I have always wanted to learn another language. I have taken multiple classes and even have Rosetta Stone. However I can still only say a few basic things. When I think about my struggles to learn a new language, I can only image what it must be like for someone trying to learn English, especially a child. Imagine your a young student, in a new place, with a new language, and a new curriculum. Not only are you trying to keep up with what your suppose to be learning but you have a language barrier. The only thing that I can think would make this easier is a two-way language immersion. This allows English speaking students and Spanish speaking students to learn both languages. Both students get to work together to learn the others language. This takes away the idea of language minority and puts both students at equal learning levels. When I studied abroad in Spain, I made a friend who was trying to learn English. Knowing that he was trying to learn English, while I was trying to learn Spanish made learning less stressful and scary. We both understood the challenges of learning a new language and helped each other grow. I think that two-way language immersion should be implemented in every school. 
 Bilingual    : Health and Happiness

No comments:

Post a Comment